WACE Tips and Tricks
This article has been written by Neve Kerwick, a Years 7 – 12 WACE Chemistry & WACE Human Biology Tutor at Learnmate. If you’re interested in private tutoring from Helen then please check out her page here.
Grade twelve ATAR exams may well be some of the most intensely stressful period of your life this far. This article will provide you with some ideas on how to reduce your school stress, and how to organise your workload.
- Sleep! A basic need for humans, sleeping will allow you to more easily concentrate on your work, and you will feel better overall.
- Find somewhere you feel comfortable, and has enough desk space for your work. It might be in your bedroom, at the kitchen table, or on a desk in a study. Alternatively, public spaces such as libraries are also good places to go for a good studying environment. I would suggest having indoor plants in your workspace to give you something to look at during thinking.
- Make a list of the tasks you need to complete. Dot points, with sub-tasks for each task.
- What do you have soonest? Which subject do you care about most? What mark are you aiming for? Answering these questions will help you figure out what you should do first.
- Have a go! Even if you get things wrong when you attempt them, learning what you did wrong has been proven to be more effective for learning. Get feedback from teachers, research answers on the internet (YouTube has lots of good videos explaining concepts and ideas), compare with your friends.
- Learn from your incorrect answers. Where are your weak points? What do you need to revise? Use your textbooks, friends, teacher, and the internet.
- Teach others. Teaching peers your learned knowledge reinforces your understanding of the subject, as well as giving you practice in giving effective answers – which will be good for your written examinations.
- Take time for yourself. Look after your body, go outside, read books, listen to music and do things you enjoy. This time is critical to your mental health, and allows your brain to rest – rather than being worked studying constantly.
- Have faith in yourself, and believe you can do it. You can.
To get in contact with WACE tutors and other tutors in Perth from LearnMate, please learn more here.
If you loved this article, you will LOVE all of our other articles, such as: How is University Different from High School?, How to Use the Final 24 Hours Before Your Exam and The Best Way to Reduce Stress in Year 12: It’s Not What You Think
– LearnMate Tutoring.
LearnMate is Australia’s leading tutoring agency offering private lessons in all primary & high school subjects including English, maths, science, humanities, foreign languages, and so much more. Our mission is simple: to provide professional, engaging and enthusiastic tutors to students, while also ensuring the student feels empowered and confident during their assessments! Ultimately, our goal is to empower students all over Australia to achieve amazing results and make their dreams come true!
LearnMate provides you with tailored, one-on-one lessons for tutoring in a variety of suburbs in Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane, Hobart, Canberra, Perth & Adelaide! With hundreds of tutors on the LearnMate platform, you’re bound to and someone local for any primary or high school year level! You can choose to have lessons in-person or online – whatever is easiest for you!