Is A Gap Year A Bad Idea?
This article has been written by Lydia McClelland, a VCE French, Music Theory, Literature & VCE English Tutor at Learnmate. If you’re interested in private tutoring from Lydia then please check out her page here.
As every student knows, most people seem to have an opinion on whether or not you should take a gap year after school. It is a massive decision, after all! In the end, you need to work out what suits you best, as everyone’s journey is different.
- A gap year will give you more time to think about what it is you actually want to do after school – so a good option if you are really unsure about the future.
- Reduces the risk of burnout if you enter university afterwards. It has actually been shown that students who took a gap year before entering university get better grades on average.
- You get to do things totally different from your studies, whether it be travel, work, volunteering or anything you choose. A gap year gives you the opportunity to explore what you’ve been curious about but never been able to try, and will hopefully provide you with amazing life experience.
- Gap years can be very expensive, especially if you plan to do a lot of travelling. In the end, it can end up simply delaying further studies, meaning you could end up finishing your studies later than all of your friends.
- Too much freedom can be a bad thing. If you’re someone who likes structure in their life, a gap year can be daunting and stressful.
- It’s easy for a gap year to turn into gap years… if you’re someone who doesn’t really enjoy study, a lack of planning in advance could mean you never end up pursuing study which leads to a career you were considering.
Ultimately, when considering a gap year, you are the most important person. It all depends upon your goals in life and where you want to go. Write up your own pros and cons list and see where life takes you.
If you loved this article, you will LOVE all of our other articles, such as: 3 Facts You Should Know About Your ATAR, Tips for Supporting Your Child in Year 11 and 12! and Will anyone care about your ATAR in a year?
– LearnMate Tutoring.
LearnMate is Australia’s leading tutoring agency offering private lessons in all primary & high school subjects including English, maths, science, humanities, foreign languages, and so much more. Our mission is simple: to provide professional, engaging and enthusiastic tutors to students, while also ensuring the student feels empowered and confident during their assessments! Ultimately, our goal is to empower students all over Australia to achieve amazing results and make their dreams come true!
LearnMate provides you with tailored, one-on-one lessons for tutoring in a variety of suburbs in Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane, Hobart, Canberra, Perth & Adelaide! With hundreds of tutors on the LearnMate platform, you’re bound to find someone local for any primary or high school year level! You can choose to have lessons in-person or online – whatever is easiest for you!