As every student knows, most people seem to have an opinion on whether or not you should take a gap year after school. It is a massive decision, after all! In the end, you need to work out what suits you best, as everyone’s journey is different.
- A gap year will give you more time to think about what it is you actually want to do after school – so a good option if you are really unsure about the future.
- Reduces the risk of burnout if you enter university afterwards. It has actually been shown that students who took a gap year before entering university get better grades on average.
- You get to do things totally different from your studies, whether it be travel, work, volunteering or anything you choose. A gap year gives you the opportunity to explore what you’ve been curious about but never been able to try, and will hopefully provide you with amazing life experience.
- Gap years can be very expensive, especially if you plan to do a lot of travelling. In the end, it can end up simply delaying further studies, meaning you could end up finishing your studies later than all of your friends.
- Too much freedom can be a bad thing. If you’re someone who likes structure in their life, a gap year can be daunting and stressful.
- It’s easy for a gap year to turn into gap years… if you’re someone who doesn’t really enjoy study, a lack of planning in advance could mean you never end up pursuing study which leads to a career you were considering.
Ultimately, when considering a gap year, you are the most important person. It all depends upon your goals in life and where you want to go. Write up your own pros and cons list and see where life takes you.
If you loved this article, you will LOVE all of our other articles, such as: 3 Facts You Should Know About Your ATAR, Tips for Supporting Your Child in Year 11 and 12! and Will anyone care about your ATAR in a year?
Learnmate is a trusted Australian community platform that connects students who want 1:1 or small group study support, with tutors who are looking to share their knowledge and earn an income. From primary school to high school subjects — from science and maths to niche subjects like visual communication — Learnmate can help you improve academic performance or boost confidence, at your pace with the tutor that you choose.
We pride ourselves in offering a reliable and positive experience for both our students and tutors. Every tutor that joins the platform is vetted to meet a level of academic excellence, teaching qualification or relevant experience. All tutors are provided the opportunity to complete professional training.
Students and parents can easily find and screen for tutors based on their location, their subject results or skill level, and whether they provide in-person or online sessions. Learnmate is proud to provide tutors in Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane, Hobart, Canberra, Perth & Adelaide, and other locations.