Succeeding in VCE is no easy task, but it definitely an achievable one. Over the past year running Learnmate, I have had the privilege of interviewing some amazing tutors who have scored 99+ ATARs. When I interview these tutors, I often ask the question - "how did you get above 99?". Common themes included:
- Passion. Every tutor who attained an amazing ATAR was passionate about the subjects they chose. They were not easy subjects, yet because they enjoyed it so much, many felt they didn't actually study in the traditional sense.
- Work ethic. Tutors who attained amazing results often worked very hard. This didn't mean working 24/7, but rather designating study times and recreational times. They seemed to be masters at time management, and never crammed study at the last moment (as many students do in VCE). They spaced out their study time and weaved in recreational time during study breaks.
- Discipline. Being DISCIPLINED and having FOCUS have also been common themes that I have observed. In today's society, it is very easy to get distracted with Facebook notifications and emails, but many of these tutors knew that when they studied, they had to have NO distractions. This meant turning off their phones, computers, tablets and any other electronic device.
- Recreational time. These superstar tutors often dedicated time every week to just exercising or going out with friends. This did not mean a huge night on the town; rather, they would dedicate some downtime for themselves on a weekly basis to recharge their batteries.
- Being resourceful. Many of these tutors took advantage of the resources at their disposal - this included going through as many practice SACs and exams provided and completing them to the best of their abilities. This also included asking their teachers for as much help as possible in and out of class. This also included getting a tutor to help them feel confident during their assessments while consolidating knowledge learnt in class.
Well, there you have it! I am sure I could add more, but these are the key factors that stood out to me, which allowed these tutors to get amazing results! I sincerely hope this helps someone who has this amazing goal they want to achieve.
Learnmate is a trusted Australian community platform that connects students who want 1:1 or small group study support, with tutors who are looking to share their knowledge and earn an income. From primary school to high school subjects — from science and maths to niche subjects like visual communication — Learnmate can help you improve academic performance or boost confidence, at your pace with the tutor that you choose.
We pride ourselves in offering a reliable and positive experience for both our students and tutors. Every tutor that joins the platform is vetted to meet a level of academic excellence, teaching qualification or relevant experience. All tutors are provided the opportunity to complete professional training.
Students and parents can easily find and screen for tutors based on their location, their subject results or skill level, and whether they provide in-person or online sessions. Learnmate is proud to provide tutors in Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane, Hobart, Canberra, Perth & Adelaide, and other locations.