Philosophy students, welcome.
My name is Miranda, and I graduated year 12 in 2014 at Billanook College, with an ATAR of 98.75. This included a study score of 50 in philosophy, for which I also received a Premier’s Award. I also received a 46 in Theatre studies, 45 in psychology, 40 in literature and 39 in Indonesian language.
I became inspired to become a philosophy tutor because when I started year 12 philosophy, I found the subject hard and tiresome, and was ranked 6th in a class of only 8 students. However, by the end of the year, my hard work and the techniques my teacher had taught me allowed me to beat the class (and the state) with a 50. Now, I want to help others succeed in the subject. Year 12 is a stressful year, but passion in a subject turns stress into motivation. Together, we will find that passion.
My tutoring approach
As your philosophy tutor, I aim to tailor our sessions to your interests and expand your philosophical knowledge. Sessions will be unique and adjusted according to your interests, not one-size-fits-all.
The approach I take to teaching is very guided. When I assign my students work, I will complete the exact same work myself, so that we can compare our results at the end. I understand that it can be hard to edit your own work, and so I offer students the option of editing my work instead, in order to develop their critical thinking skills. It is a mark of an excellent tutor when the student becomes critical of every viewpoint presented to them. Some of my techniques involve:
- Creating questions for you to answer. Together, we will then compare your answers with my answers and compare the approaches
- Re working past SACS in order to learn what you can do to improve your work in SAC conditions
- Answering questions under timed limits, in the most stressful situation possible, in order to build confidence in exam conditions
- Lots of work with standard form, which helps students to understand philosophical arguments
I am up to date with
- The VCE curriculum and required texts
- Nature of the SACS and exams
- The skills and resources needed to excel in a VCE setting
As your tutor, I:
- Can answer your questions for free at any time of the week
- Read your work for free in order to prepare for our sessions
- Drive to your house for an additional $5 per 10kms away from St Kilda
- My hourly rate at $50, with the first session being free
My availability is flexible, I am happy to negotiate with students depending on their availability.