Hello! Welcome to my profile.
My name’s Hartley. I’m a student and writer-at-heart studying Creative Writing and Philosophy at the University of Adelaide.
I achieved an ATAR of 94.6 in 2015, studying SACE English Literary Studies (A), Japanese (A), Chinese (A),Philosophy (A) and Modern History (B). I am available as a tutor in all of these subjects.
I am a tutor as I find teaching to be an extremely rewarding occupation. A central mission in my own personal life is to effectively communicate and pass on knowledge and understanding to the best of my abilities. As a teacher it is my role to ensure that understanding comes from within the student themselves, and I hope to give my students knowledge that will aid them in a life of growth and learning. My goals as a teacher are to 1. Instill confidence within individuals, 2. To promote effective learning methods and strategies, and 3. To make learning something that is fun!
I hope to achieve this by setting realistic goals for students and providing assistance in the following practices:
- Critical Thinking
- Considering the fundamental theories, assumptions and guiding principles of the subject.
- Exploring the subject creatively and utilising knowledge-at-play to consolidate learning.
- Using screening methods to determine what is vital to understanding the subject.
- Essay Writing
- Analysing and understanding the question itself.
- Highlighting the importance of structure within essay-writing to formulate arguments.
- Understanding how the student might demonstrate their knowledge effectively within the subject area to the marker.
- Utilising effective strategies to engage the reader.
- Proof-reading and reading from the teacher’s perspective to highlight errors and inaccuracies.
- Using correct referencing techniques.
- Class Presentations
- Utilising the voice to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Instilling stress-management and breathing techniques.
- Understanding audience engagement.
- Exam Revision
- Formulating a study plan.
- Setting study goals.
- Demonstrating knowledge effectively within an exam.
When I’m not teaching, you can find me reading, writing, making music, DJing, riding my bike, skateboarding, or with my nose deep in a textbook of any subject. Learning is a constant in my life, and I hope to share my love for it in all that I do.
MY LOCATION, COSTS AND AVAILABILITY!
I am available for in-person tutoring in the Adelaide City Area (Adelaide, North Adelaide), Norwood Area (Kent Town, Norwood), and West Torrens Area. I am flexible with location and by negotiation can arrange to travel within a 7km radius of the city centre in any direction. Closer to the city centre is convenient however as I live in Ashford and study on North Terrace.
I charge $45 per hour and offer out-of-hours emergency support.
I am available on weekends and on weekdays as according to my university schedule. I am generally available on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesday afternoons. I hope to hear from you soon!
Hartley has been great I only wish we’d engaged his services earlier!