Thank you for clicking on my profile!
My name is Vanessa and I’m a 2017 graduate from St Mary’s Star of the Sea College, Wollongong. I achieved an ATAR of 95.25 and am currently in my third year studying a Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) at the University of Sydney. I’m very passionate about assisting young people to develop their academic confidence through teaching.
My experience with tutoring/teaching extends to:
- Volunteering for the Zo Skype Reading Program (a program that aims to teach children who are from Myanmar but are residing in Malaysia as refugees. As they are unable to receive a formal education, this student-run service tutors them in reading and literacy. I would do one on one teaching for an hour weekly)
- Volunteering as a Mentor for the University of Sydney’s Belong @ FHS program (A program where I had the privilege of mentoring a group of first-year students: providing advice and support regarding study/exam preparation, student life, units of study, assignments, and emotional support)
- University placement at the University of Sydney’s Communication Disorders Treatment and Research Clinic (conducted therapy for a nine-year-old boy who had difficulties with sound substitutions and reading comprehension for 1 hour a week for 12 weeks)
- University placement at Integricare Strathfield Preschool (taught language-based, pre-literacy activities to four-year-olds 2 hours weekly for 6 weeks)
- Student-teacher for dance students at Theatrix Performing Arts, Unanderra (teaching students from as young as 4 years old to 13 years and over the basic technique and foundations of dance, strength, flexibility, providing a fun/encouraging environment and increasing their confidence in performance).
I provide tutoring services for the following subjects:
– Primary school Mathematics Years 1-6: assistance with class content and homework, targeting areas of difficulty.
– Primary school English Years 1-6: assistance with class content and homework, targeting areas of difficulty.
– Preliminary and HSC Studies of Religion II Years 11 and 12 (HSC score of 91): preparation for upcoming exams/assignments, assistance with class content and homework, targeting areas of difficulty, marking practice short answer and essay responses.
– Preliminary and HSC Community and Family Studies (HSC score of 91): preparation for upcoming exams/assignments, assistance with class content and homework, targeting areas of difficulty, marking practice short answer and extended responses.
– Preliminary and HSC Dance Years 11 and 12 (HSC score of 96 and 2017 HSC Call back for Core Performance and Major performance ): Assistance with Core Appreciation; essay writing and course content (the topics I have covered include “Fine Line” by Sue Healey and “Sarabande” by Jiri Kylian). I’m also happy to revise interviews for Core Composition, Core Performance, and Major Performance.
MY LOCATION, COSTS AND AVAILABILITY!
I offer lessons over skype primarily. However, if you prefer in-person lessons, I’m available to hold lessons in the Lidcombe area (including Usyd Cumberland’s Health Sciences Library and the Lidcombe Library) or in an area close to Lidcombe if requested.
I also hold a valid Working with Children’s Check and Police Check.
Individual lessons (Year 11-12): $50/hr
Group lessons of 2 to 3 (Year 11-12): $40/hr per student
Individual lessons (Primary School – Year 10): $45/hr
Group lessons of 2 to 3 (Primary School – Year 10): $35/hr per student