Hi! My name is Mel and I’m a fully-qualified, Proficient-accredited teacher with 4 years of HSIE experience in top NSW schools in both public and independent sectors. I also have experience in learning support for Primary and Secondary, and have a Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate (TEFL), meaning I have a solid foundation in grammar, literacy, and communication.
I have a positive, encouraging, and friendly teaching style — I’ve had high school students describe me as “that nice one” and “chill” — take from that what you will! But on a serious note, I look forward to getting to know your unique needs and working with you to ensure that you are getting the help and support you need from a tutor.
For secondary students, I offer:
- Specific subject help (see my list of subjects)
- General academic support, for example help creating and sticking to a study plan, work accountability, assessment help, proofreading, etc. I’ve worked closely with hundreds of students while they cope with the demands of their increased workload and can offer my knowledge and experience; I used to be a year advisor and will listen and support you if you’re having a meltdown :).
- Either on-going tutoring support, or one-off “as you need it” sessions for assessments or exam prep.
*If I’m unsure of a particular question or assessment, I won’t hesitate to ask for advice from my network of teacher colleagues. **If I don’t think I can help you, I will be upfront and honest about that – I don’t want you feeling like you’re wasting your money!
For primary students, I can help offer:
- Non-intimidating tutoring with a smile.
- I’d love to help your child with “learning from home” support, homework, or assessment help. Sometimes, teaching or helping your own child can end up being highly charged and stressful simply because you are their parent or carer and it becomes personal 🙂
*I haven’t taught fulltime in a primary school, but I was a learning support and gifted and talented (GAT) teacher’s assistant at highly reputable Sydney independent school.
**Since I don’t believe I can yet offer a “qualified Primary teacher” standard of tutoring, I’m happy to negotiate a lower hourly rate for your Primary aged student.
My Academic Background:
- I’m American born, attended a top American-curriculum international school in Singapore and graduated from high school on the Honor Roll with a 3.9 GPA.
- I moved to Sydney on my own at 19, and starting uni, I was a little unsure of my direction in life. Now as a teacher, I see this a lot and it’s actually a pretty common experience — if this is you, you’re going to figure it out. You’ll be okay! I dipped my toes in a couple programs before finding my passion and I like to think I came out a much more well-rounded professional and human-being due to it.
- Double B/Fine Arts/Sociology and Anthropology
- B/Social Work
- Graduated with Distinction with a B/Arts in History and Geography.
- I then completed a Master of Teaching with Distinction.
- I completed my teaching pracs at a variety of public and independent schools in Sydney’s South and West
- I have (cumulative) two years of contract experience in the Inner West, Upper North Shore, and Eastern Suburbs
- I taught two years full time as a Business Studies, Legal Studies, Commerce, and Geography teacher in the Inner West
- I completed a TEFL in Prague and worked for a short while as an English Language Teacher in Europe while travelling
MY LOCATION, COSTS AND AVAILABILITY!
Location: Coogee, NSW, 2034
- Secondary School Student – $60-80, depending on session type/what type of extra preparation, resources, or proofreading is required. Group tutoring is $80 total. After you make contact and before each session, I’ll provide you with a quote for that session.
- Primary School Student – $40-55, depending on your specific needs for that session, and number of students.
- Online-only tutoring
- Contact me for availability, I will do my best to work with your schedule and fit you in!