Hi there, I’m Joy! I graduated from Caulfield Grammar in 2019 with an ATAR of 97.95 (top 2.05% of students in Victoria). Can’t say I’ll miss Year 12 stress all that much, but I have to say I had a blast doing English, Media and VCD, and I hope you will too! (Though, the experience wasn’t entirely without its painful moments). Currently, I’m studying animation at RMIT and ditched my ATAR in the process (no regrets, I’ve always loved the arts). Although I specialise in VCE and high school tutoring, I can also tutor primary students in English and art-related subjects, acting as a mentor to spark that passion from a young age. I am also fluent in the Chinese (Mandarin) language, having done Chinese Second Language  in VCE.
Having undergone tutoring myself in Years 11 – 12, I understand how important it is to have a teacher that instils confidence in students, inspiring true passion that isn’t defined by the rigid boundaries of grades. I hope to spark the same passion in you and encourage you to do the best you can. High school ends, but learning never does.
I will tailor my tutoring style to suit every individual student, ensuring every lesson brings them one step closer to their goal. However, generally, I will base my lessons around your schoolwork. After each lesson, I will send a lesson follow-up email, attaching any corrected work and extra resources as necessary, as well as summarise important concepts. I will also provide 24/7 phone and email support.
What I offer:
For English, I will:
Years 7 – 12
- Help you develop a true appreciation of your texts
- Provide you with my notes and essays I wrote as a student at no additional cost
- Help you construct your own notes
- Teach various ways to structure essays (the beauty of English is that there’s no right or wrong!)
- Ensure that you will be prepared when you transition into high school
- Build upon your classroom work and guide you on any important concepts as necessary, such as essay structure, spelling, creative writing, persuasive writing, grammar and punctuation
- Provide additional worksheets to consolidate understanding
For Media I will:
- Watch your school’s set films
- Provide you with my set of comprehensive notes and cue cards at no additional cost
- Help you build a folio that you can be proud of (I scored an A+ on mine)
- Provide critique and guidance on producing your final production
- Teach you how to structure your responses, especially the extended responses, in order to maximise marks
- Provide guidance on how to use Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
My final production in Media was a short 2D animated film, which won ‘Best Animation’ at the Monash Youth Film Festival 2019. If any students also plan on creating an animated film, I can provide guidance on how to use Adobe Animate and Photoshop.
If you are wishing to enter a course which has portfolio requirements, I can provide insight into how to prepare for this, since I went through this process myself for RMIT; I got through the first selection round. RMIT’s animation programme is ranked #1 in Australia and #8 globally (outside the USA).
MY LOCATION, COSTS AND AVAILABILITY!
Currently, I will only be offering online tutoring at a rate of $50 per hour. I also tutor at my home studio in Wheelers Hill.
I also hold a valid Working with Children’s Check.
Thank you for reading my profile!
Joy has gone above and beyond in considering my daughter, Darcy’s needs. Her ability to connect and inspire Darcy has been very much appreciated. Joy is an extremely capable and competent tutor, who is compassionate and caring. I cannot recommend Joy highly enough!!