Getting ahead in VCE Legal Studies for 2018
This article has been written by Henry Ja, a VCE Chemistry & VCE Legal Studies tutor at Learnmate. If you’re interested in private tutoring from Henry then please check out his page here.
As you should be aware there is a new Legal Studies Study Design for 2018 and this means that you will be the first cohort to complete this new course. What this also means is that you should not be buying textbooks or notes from past students, as they will not be relevant to you and you will be just wasting your money. Ensure that you buy your textbooks new and be wary of purchasing notes from past students.
What will you cover in VCE Legal Studies 2018?
In Unit 3 you will be looking at both the Victorian Criminal and Civil Justice System and explore various key concepts from the rights of an accused and victim to the methods used to resolve a civil dispute.
Unit 4, on the other hand, has a focus on the Australian Constitution, Parliament and Courts. You will look at key sections of the Constitution as well as relevant High Court cases dealing with the Constitution. In addition to that, you will also look at the role of Parliament and courts as law-makers.
So, what can you do to get a stay ahead of your classmates?
- Complete your holiday homework – your teacher would have given you holiday homework to do, ensure that you complete this.
- Read ahead of class – You have already brought your textbook, so get into the habit of reading ahead of the class. Even if you don’t understand what you are reading, by reading ahead of everyone else means that when you do go over the material in class, it will be the second time you will be exposed to the material.
- Understand the principle of justice – in Unit 3 you will need to have a good understanding of the three principles of justice – fairness, equality and access. You will need to apply that understanding to the Victorian Criminal and Civil Justice System.
- Print out and read the Study Design – make sure that you understand the key knowledge and key skills that you are required to know. Your SACs and exam will be testing your understanding of the things listed out in the key knowledge and skills section of the study design.
- Keep up to date with the news – make sure that you either watch the news on TV or read it online (ABC Online or news.com.au are free news sites). This will not only help you put the things you learn into perspective but provide you with examples which may become helpful when you are answering questions.
Overall, you should try to stay productive during the year, but make sure that you also take some time to relax as well, because you have a big year ahead of you!
LearnMate is Australia’s leading tutoring agency offering private lessons in all primary & high school subjects including English, maths, science, humanities, foreign languages, and so much more. Our mission is simple: to provide professional, engaging and enthusiastic tutors to students, while also ensuring the student feels empowered and confident during their assessments! Ultimately, our goal is to empower students all over Australia to achieve amazing results and make their dreams come true!
LearnMate provides you with tailored, one-on-one lessons for tutoring in a variety of suburbs in Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane, Hobart, Canberra, Perth & Adelaide! With hundreds of tutors on the LearnMate platform, you’re bound to find someone local for any primary or high school year level! You can choose to have lessons in-person or online – whatever is easiest for you!