Making the decision whether or not to hire a tutor is not an easy one and we frequently talk to families and students considering the question "should I hire a tutor?". In this blog, we set out some of the considerations you may have in deciding whether a tutor is right for you, your personal situation and needs.
As part of this, we explore which students typically get a tutor and why to dispel some concerns and hesitations students occasionally have in deciding whether to hire one.
Who typically gets a tutor and why?
There are many reasons why students consider hiring a tutor. Generally speaking, the reasons why students or their families consider a tutor typically include:
- I struggle at school and am falling behind my friends
- I need a little extra motivation or support to keep up at school or stay on top of my homework
- I do well at school already but I want to achieve a certain exam or test mark, or a Year 12 score, and want help from an expert tutor to get there
- I want to work with a tutor to learn a new skill (such as coding), a language or instrument
Do any of these thoughts or opinions sound familiar? As you may have noticed, students of all types and confidence levels hire tutors. We occasionally hear from students who say they feel or fear that hiring a tutor is a sign of weakness or "means I am stupid". This couldn't be further from the truth. As a matter of fact, our research shows that 7 out of every 10 students who achieve in the top 1% in Year 12 have a tutor! That is, 70% of Australia's very best students (the top of the class!) hire a tutor to help them achieve their goals.
From those who find school really challenging, to those who just want to keep up, to those at the top of the class, students of all types and with all kinds of goals hire tutors.
Tutors help you achieve your goals
Whichever category you fit into, hiring a tutor can be the perfect way to achieve your goals in 2023. Here's how a tutor can be most helpful to you:
- Tutors provide individual attention to you. Tutors tailor their approach specifically to your needs and learning style. This can be especially helpful if you have a particular subject that you're struggling with, or if you simply need extra help to better understand it.
- Tutors help develop study skills and strategies. A tutor can also help you to develop important study skills and strategies that can improve your overall academic performance. This can include things like organization, time management, and test-taking strategies.
- Accountability and motivation. In addition to the academic benefits, working with a tutor can also provide a sense of accountability and motivation. A tutor can serve as a support system, helping you stay on track and stay focused on achieving your academic goals. At the least, having dedicated sessions with a tutor naturally makes you focus and be productive during your lessons.
- Learn from an expert and experienced tutor. Finding someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in a particular subject matter is a big reason why students come to Learnmate to engage a tutor. Tutors can provide valuable insights and perspectives that can help you gain a deeper understanding of the material, particularly former students who excelled in a subject and have tips and tricks they can share with you to achieve the same.
In conclusion, hiring a tutor can provide numerous benefits for all types of students; from those struggling in school, to those simply looking to keep up or those who have ambitions of being the top of their class.
If you're feeling overwhelmed and struggling to keep up with your coursework, hiring a tutor can be immensely helpful in improving your academic performance. Additionally, deciding to hire an expert tutor, whether they are a teacher or former student, can be one of the most important decisions you make to achieve your personal learning goals.